Soda Blasting

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Downrigga, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    So I am soda blasting my hull this week. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good barrier coat. I was also wondering how thick it should be? Someone mentioned 10mm is a good barrier. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I've used both Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff and Interlux 2000 barrier coats on various projects. There are pros and cons to each, but in the end a 10 mil (not millimeters!) dry thickness is desired and both work good with no flaking or peeling.

Sea Hawk - Only 2 coats required for a much shorter weather window. But the nap roller they recommend to obtain that thickness in two coats will leave a somewhat textured surface, almost to the point where you might actually consider sanding it a bit smoother if you are hoping for a little speed increase. You can use a finer nap roller to get a smoother finish, but then you will require a third or maybe even a fourth coat to get that 10 mil thickness.

Interlux 2000 - They are up front with their dreaded 5 coat requirement and a much larger weather window is required. More labor intensive but it yields a much smoother surface.

Both work very well, but in my opinion if you are hoping and praying for that extra 1/2 to 1 knot bonus speed increase after all the trouble of stripping the entire bottom, Interlux is the way to go. But with either product the end result should be that 10 mil thickness. I did choose to go with Interlux on my Bruno project simply because I'm hoping to gain any kind of cruise speed I can possibly get behind that whopping 260 HP CAT. ;)

3. ThePartsGuy

ThePartsGuy Senior Member

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    We use the Seahawk Tuff Stuff exclusively in our yard. We can do the (2) coats and (1) coat of bottom paint all in on one work day.

4. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    How are you soda blasting? Renting the equipment? I am looking to do this in 18 months or so, would like to get feedback on how, where, how much the equipment is.

I got quotes for rentals of a big air compressor and media blasting unit for about $500 each for a week with all of the fees. Is that what you all are seeing?

CRABBYPATTI likes this.
  5. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    I had the bottom of 1989 25 Terry Jason "bead blasted".......left a nice clean 80 grit surface on the gel coat. Used Seahawk Systems barrier and top coat black.

Nice smooth bottom on her ! :D

ThePartsGuy likes this.
  6. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    Used Interlux high build on the TJ35. Prep was a PITA getting all the mold release wax off but, application was fairly easy. There was a base paint coat (anti fouling) requirement but it is more flexible than the multi coat stuff. We'll see how it performs if it ever hits the water. :D

BillD likes this.
  7. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    you'll get there !

Keelboater likes this.
  8. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    A guy that works for me has a state of the art blasting machine. Soda blasts with water. Coolest thing ever. No mess no dust. All mounted on a trailer. Let me know when you are ready. I'm sure I could help you out. Doing mine in the am and he says he will be done in less than 3 hours.

Brawny and PatriciaLynn like this.
  9. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    Yeah...I know, just have to waste most of this summer on the project from hell. :mad:

10. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    26 Duffy, 14 Holland
    Where is he located? I have a small project for him :)

11. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    MA/NH

12. ThePartsGuy

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    If he is ever in the Newburyport area he should swing by the boatyard and say hello. We do 3-4 bottom jobs a year and are always looking for new, more green friendly approaches to the striping process.

13. cb34

cb34 Captain

What are you guys building in the yard?

cb34,
  14. ThePartsGuy

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    A brand new ship store with expanded capacity. I'm excited because I will have a huge modern parts room and warehousing space. We will also have classroom space on the second floor to run our free clinics as well as additional fee based hands on seminars on various boat systems.

Although in cramped spaces till after haul season we are still fully open to the public.

15. osprey47

osprey47 Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
    Have used the Pettit barrier coat. 3 coats (alternating black, grey, black) with goal of 3mm thickness. Then 2 coats of antifoul. We had ground, filled, faired many gel-coat blisters. Four years later, bottom was like new.