Steering Block at Helm Extremely Hot to the Touch

CaptKyle

Hi,

My name is Kyle, my partner and I have a 28 BHM that has a belt driven power steering pump that is being spun off my newly installed remanned Volvo tamd41p motor as of 2016, it has about 250hrs in the boat. The old motor was Perkins 220hp and operated at much lower rpms, about 1200 rpm less. Since the day we bought the boat with 100hrs on the current setup, the steering block at the wheel gets extremely hot where you can not touch it after a good steam somewhere. Is it possible this new volvo that cruises at 3200 rpm versus the perkins at 1900 rpms is getting over spun and causing it to get extremely hot? If so what would be the fix, a larger pulley on the motor side or pump side? Is there a guide to these standard commercial steering pumps that can advise on pulley size based on motor RPM? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

CaptKyle

The blue cylindrical tank with the silver top is the hydraulic power steering reservoir that is mounted directly to the pump, which is driven by a belt directly off the main pulley on the motor. The system is pushing too much oil when at cruise and making the system very hot to touch, meaning the steering block in the photo below becomes extremely hot to the touch.
1585072975638.png

GH37

Boat Make
Duffy 37
A larger pulley on the pump would reduce the flow at all rpm so you’d have to see if steering was still good at idle. Some pumps have cover options that cap the flow at a certain rate, if yours is one you could swap out the cover. I don’t think there is any one set of specs, depends on the pump, helm, and cylinders.

snowstorm

Boat Make
28 ellis
yes the faster you turn a gear or vane pump the more oil it flows and that can make more heat. you also have no air flow over it . hydraulic oil is fine to 150 degrees so what do you call hot? normal trans temp in a ford trans is 200 clark power shift trans 250. sometimes hot isn't really that hot

CaptKyle

Hot enough where you could burn your hand if you put it on it. Its for sure pushing to much oil. Thought about an oil cooler as a quick fix, but was also concerned the pump may be pushing to much oil then it was intended for. Its 200 or more, what started my concern was some of the fittings and connections have started to slowly leak which leads me to believe its overheating the system. If I'm trolling around for hours system is not hot and operates as it should, its when were at cruise for hours on end the wheel block and all the lines get very hot. Also where would i find my cover options and what my flow rate should be capped at??

GH37

Boat Make
Duffy 37
Should be a plate on the pump with manufacturer and model info, with that you can find more info.

snowstorm

Boat Make
28 ellis
that tank looks just like what ih used in there trucks in the 60,s. take the top off there may be a filter in there.

PatriciaLynn

Boat Make
Repco
I have the same engine and power steering in my boat. I find that as long as I am cycling the wheel and allowing fluid to circulate through the system to the ram and back I don't have problems with it getting too hot. Trouble is at speed when it is calm, I don't have to give much input to maintain a straight line, so it gets hot.

It did get hot enough for the oil to start smoking one time when my guys left the engine idling and no steering inputs for a couple of hours. If you want to have it full-proof, just install an oil cooler and you can forget about it. Inline after the oil cooler would be good, then you don't have to worry about it overcooling the steering fluid.