Striper Book

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Grandslam35, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Books Have Arrived

Books have arrived and will ship immediately upon ordering.

Home Page

2. Muscie

Muscie Senior Member

CPA
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
    I got it friday. nice job. Already read about 80% of it.
    Very informative. Looks like you considerd many of the same hulls I considered.
    (Thanks for the 3 bucks.)

3. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Good to hear.

I'm glad your enjoying it, and that the book is informative. That was my goal from the first word I typed.

Capt. Tom.

4. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Some reviews on Bass Buff

Some Reviews from Anglers who have read Bass Buff:

Tim S- I'm done with 60-percent of Bass Buff. Very readable, and a fun read also. Informative beyond question. I asked my local bait and tackle shop to buy a hundred.

John M- Got mine, and it's a great read that does a good job at putting the knowledge into action.

Phil B-I love the layout, photos, and content. Very professional.

Tom S-Great job on the book Captain Tom.

Pat M-I got mine quickly, already read 80%, very informative.

Attached Files:

• 47-2.jpg
      47-2.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Great Review

Obsessed . . . With Bass

Click on the above link to read a great review of my book "Bass Buff" in the East End Newspaper the Independent.

All reviews have been wonderful, and I'm a little shocked by them.

Books are available at bassbuff.com and Amzon.com

Capt. Tom.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Greetings All.

I Have not posted here in awhile as I had a very busy charter season off Montauk. My book Bass Buff-A Striper Fishing Obsession Guide is now listed on Home Page (bassbuff.com) for $19.00 which includes shipping and handling for a savings of $4.00. Reviews have continued to be very supportive, and any books bought on bassbuff.com come with a full money back guarantee, and I will gladly sign any of these books. A sample of the book can be read here.
    Book Sample

Capt. Tom Mikoleski

7. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    This should be a good read in front of the wood stove this winter.

8. Estimator

Estimator Senior Member

Contractor
    Boat Make:
    43 Torres
    Tom
    Very good read. I highly recommend this book.

Have a good holiday and see you in the rips next season.

Anthony

9. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Very good read

Thanks for that. Same to you.
    I'm ready for May already!!

10. sleeper

sleeper Member

Boat Make:
    maritme skiff/26 general marine
    bass buff

I found the book informative and well written, wish Capt Tom all the best .JB

11. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Great

That's what I like to hear, and thanks for chiming in.
    Happy Holidays, Capt. Tom.

12. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Another review.

Greetings all. Below is a link to a great review Bass Buff received last summer in the East End paper The Independent.

Obsessed . . . With Bass

In addition, Chapter 2 of this book recounts my adventure into buying and building 2-Downeast hulls for charter fishing. I think many forum members will find this chapter very interesting.

Capt. Tom Mikoleski Grand Slam Charters Montauk.

13. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  14. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Great Review from Amazon.com

I have been fishing the waters of Cape Cod for over 20 years and I've been running my own boat for 5 years. I highly recommend this book for anyone targeting striped bass from a boat whether they be a novice with no experience or a charter boat captain with 20 years or more.

The book is well laid out and the beginning has a great history of the striped bass and how they became a prized trophy fish. It then moves on into the basic tackle needed and touches base on the more advanced tackle and custom gear, it goes into great detail on key aspects of tackle and helps answer the question why you want to use it.

What I really liked about the book is it breaks down in great detail several ways how to fish for striped bass, whether you like to troll, drift, chunk, use live or dead eels, buck tails, tubes, umbrella rigs, list goes on, this book goes into great details. It gets into even more details and talks about colors, when to use certain colors, why the combination of color works and MOST IMPORTANTLY what you're trying to mimic, always remember when fishing 'match the hatch'!

If you're a novice at fishing for bass there is an overwhelming amount of information here that you can use, you can read and it will give you a good running start on how to proceeded so you don't spend thousands of dollars on gear you may or may not use. If you're like me and been fishing for years you'll be able to pick up on some very small but key details that may just help you bring a few more cows over the rail.

In closing I thought this book was great, it was well written with some good comical moments, felt like I was on the deck fishing with Capt Tom while reading it. It's well worth the price, if you catch 1 fish with tips from this book its paid itself off, in my opinion you have nothing to loose, especially on those slow days when no one else is hooking up, this book may help you pull that 1 fish out when everyone else is skunked.

Books available at Home Page

15. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    Some more recent reviews on Amazon.

Bass Buff continues to get great reviews here are some recent ones from Amazon.com.
    Capt. Tom.

AH-Great read by a great fisherman! Filled with tons of valuable insight that can help anyone in their pursuit of the stripped bass.

Brian Smith-Highly recommend for anyone involved with striped bass fishing. Great for all-around knowledge of northeast waters and tactics. Great primer.

William P. Smith-I've read almost every striped book out there nd this one is on the top of my list. Maybe you should read it last because other books will never compare. Well I have read other great books but this one spells it out quickly. Well written. Great to add to anyone's collection.

Jake-This book being based in New York, and myself being a Maryland / Chesapeake bay resident, was still very informative giving me a personal connection to the captain. It went over many different techniques and had a lot of background information about stripers. I would recommend to anyone trying to understand how to catch some quality stripers.

I posted chapter 2 here, here's the link some might find it a fun read. http://downeastboatforum.com/downeast-boat-builders-25-ft/35-t-jason-1015-8.html

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  16. Grandslam35

Grandslam35 Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    T JASON 35
    We are up to 21 reviews on Amazon.com all excellent, except for one, that calls it a book for beginners. Can't really understand that one, because it certainly is not "Striped Bass Fishing for Dummies." Maybe it's a rival charter captain paining the book, but 20 good reviews to 1 bad kind of settles that.

Bass Buff-A Striper Fishing Obsession Guide is now available at a lower price direct from me for $20, that includes shipping.

Order here at Home Page and I'll happily sign a copy for you.