Suggestions 35-37 DE

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by SidewinderDave, Nov 30, 2019.

1. SidewinderDave

SidewinderDave Member

If you need to know lil bout me, It’s in the newbie section.
    I know this topic has been beat upon many times, but in case any new info or issues..

I am here for a little direction regarding suggestions for a DE hulls to fit my needs.
    Gonna be 90% fishing = troll, drift and on the hook (inshore and offshore) the other 10% will be w family/friends for cruises and weekend trips. so I need a clean functional galley w/ separate head and some type of sleeping accommodations. No stove needed but few basic cabinets and countertop is nice
    Don’t need wood, but my wife likes neat and clean in that area of boat
    So no yacht finish w fancy wood trim needed.
    Enclosed cabin w bench seating.
    Good head sea and following sea hull and I like minimum bow rise ( like everyone else)
    My main objective is speed. I understand the DE hulls and their relationship w speed, I would love to see a boat that is capable of a 23kt cruise at 70% w a canyon load. Basically a 32 kt boat.
    So if it’s not quick enough already, it would need the room below to accept an engine upgrade in the future if needed.
    I just want the boat on a friendly ocean to be able to move.
    My schedule w kids and sports now makes the normal 2 day overnighter into a long 1 day day trip.

I’m thinking.......
    35-37 DE. 35-37 Duffy (High Shear) or 36 NB, 36 Flowers is who I feel the front runners will be.
    I also love the look of an HH and RP but I don’t think it’s gonna fit my criteria regarding speed and room below deck and no box. Like high gunnels and large cockpit.
    Im thinking Probably a built down hull since I like the room below for eng maintenance, flat deck w NO engine box, fish hold and fuel capacity. There are many beautiful skeg boats but I don’t think it fills my needs as much as a built down would.

So I am here for some suggestions, w pros/cons or things to look for such as issues w specific hulls. Once I have it narrowed down to a few hulls I will put up a WTB add with some of the things I’d like to see on the boat.
    Not sure if this helps, Boat is probably gonna be early to mid 2000 year. Budget will be 175-200k

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    With that kind of speed as your main objective, you’ve named the right targets to look for. But your canyon criteria is going to require much bigger than average HP which is both rare on the used market and more expensive than your desired budget. For the 35-37ft. segment, the next jump up from the common mid-400hp Cat/ Cummins/ Deere/ Yanmar is 600-650hp. They’re unusual on the used market and priced accordingly.

NB36’s are quick for a given hp, and a popular hull. I’d say odds are best to get one within your budget and then repower & increase fuel capacity.

3. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    If you want everything you listed including a 32 knot top speed, better triple your budget. The engine and transmission alone would take up half your budget.

4. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    Remember too that a mid 30' DE hull with a diesel that cruises 23kt may only have 3 or 400 more RPM to get to WOT. Hence lower top speed while still satisfying your cruise.

Going to be a tough boat to find in that price range. Lots of sportfishermen around designed to do exactly what you are looking for and in your budget.

steveinak likes this.
  5. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    He wants a 23 knot cruise with a canyon load. That's going to require a lot of HP, a fast hull, and a good sized prop. That will be a $pendy DE boat in the used market.

Blitzen and PatriciaLynn like this.
  6. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    Ppro, Agreed, but plenty of sportfishermen from Bertram, Hatteras, etc. around on the used market for $100k with some room in his budget for engine maintenance, electronics upgrades, freshen up interior. Downeast hulls are great for carrying large loads at moderate speeds, but there are better options for a lot if owners if they want a rocket ship to blast out to the canyon with on weekends. I get the urge to have a downeast hull, but they certainly aren't perfect, every boat is a compromise. I just get the feeling that Dave will be tearing his hair out as he passes the fleet at the butter fish hole as the sun comes up at 18knts with another couple hours to get down to the canyon.

I get it, I have a family too and time is precious. I have a slow DE workboat for my shellfish farm. While I would really would have liked to go out with some friends and target some cod during our limited season up here, it would have been a long day on my boat at 14 knots. Would have been easy on a 20 ft center console cooking along at 25+. I've done both and my recommendation would be for recreational fishing, buy a rec boat. They are designed with those needs in mind!

7. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Unfortunately your on a long list of guys looking for that unicorn of a boat. The engine alone is 125-150k to push a 36’ boat at those speeds.

danl93 and restless like this.
  8. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    The RP in the classified could be a good compromise. Speed is going to be your Achilles heel.
    The ride and capabilities make up for it.
    I got lucky when I found mine. 18-20 knot cruise on a budget but they are hard to find over 30 feet.
    Good luck.

PatriciaLynn likes this.
  9. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    Buy a sportfish. I love DE but honestly there’s some really nice sporties out there. For your price range you could get into a pretty nice one. Speed, twin engin maneuverability/reliability and a much nicer finish than you’ll find in any DE in your price range.

2005 Carolina Classic 32 Saltwater Fishing for sale - YachtWorld

Here’s a good example^^. Rigged well to fish and a proven canyon boat

10. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Speed in the Downeast game is very expensive. Most all of them will go 15-18 fairly effortlessly with reasonable power. Getting 20kts is very spendy! Your budget, short of a miracle isn't going to get it done. Better plan on double that in the used market and triple if you go new. I would say you are spot on with the models you are looking for. I would also say that for your budget go twin screw sport boat, it will check every box other than the Downeast one.

Blitzen likes this.
  11. SidewinderDave

SidewinderDave Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input.

But no sporty. Fished on Vikings 35, 41, 48 in the canyon for many years when younger. Beautiful boats all day long. I love the looks and the ride of a DE. And the fishing aspect of what they offer.
    I understand that cruise speed at 23 is not the norm, and to find something within my budget may not be possible.
    So If I have to sacrifice some of my speed demands for better quality hull and finish I would be willing to compromise. Seems DE are all a compromise, and I’m open to that. Especially since i’d Be buying used, chances of finding that unicorn would be slim to none. New is a different story.

With that being said,
    So I’m sure a true 20kt w canyon load cruise at 70% should open some more doors for me?
    Regarding hull choices. And it seems getting into the 38’ range may be what I need since some of the 38 push better than the 36 plus have the room I need. Maybe a 37-38 Duffy, 38NB or a 38 Holland.
    Or that big 35 RP. Not sure what the HH has to offer in that size.

If that 20kt cruise w canyon load w engine at 70%
    Any possibilities now?
    Comfortable Head sea/following sea

My boat officially sold today, so I’m on the hunt

12. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    What your looking for and your train of thought as to how to get it are dead on in my opinion. The only spot your missing significantly is the cost to do it. Once you come to grips with the fact that it will cost you 500+ thousand dollars you can have your wife start picking out colors for cushions.

If you have one built your best to figure another 10-20% more for extras that you were never ever going to need or want. It is a very rare build that stays true to the original build sheet. Listen to Brian (Powderpro) he will be all the guidance you will ever need. He does what your asking and pulls no punches from what I have seen. He just gives the info and the reel cost after that its up to the man with the money.

Blitzen likes this.
  13. SidewinderDave

SidewinderDave Member

And I wish I could build new. Just went through it w my past boat and loved every step of the way

but unfortunately a new build is not in the cards just yet.
    Going to be used. So 15 or so years used I guess.
    I think I should be able to find a great hull and powerplant to fit my needs. I dont think that solid 20kt cruise is going to be impossible w nice fit and finish within my price range.
    Coming from a CC, my wife be happy just seeing a downstairs, let alone pillows.
    I think I can find something in that budget.
    I have been watching DE sales for a while now.
    Thanks again guys for the comments. im taking it all in.

14. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    A volvo D13 with gear is going to set you back 90k. Installation is going to be another 40k
    That power in a 36 nb will allow you to fly. Depending on what power you are pulling out you might find a hull with decent power you can sell and get some of your coin back. Looking over your criteria, your budget is going to have to come way up. Going fast is expensive. The one problem your going to face is most likely any project like you discribe wont have enough fuel capacity to mate up with the big power. Your better off looking at the 38 nb.

15. gmac

gmac Senior Member

It's hard to find, used, what your looking for. I search and never found it. But hopefully you do!
    Ended up going with new build, finishing now hoping to achieve the #'s your after.
    Went with a 38 Flowers, 800 hp Scaina.
    It's a long process but ya get what and how you want it!

gmac,
    ErikT, Blitzen and PatriciaLynn like this.
  16. SidewinderDave

SidewinderDave Member

Commercial aspects and grabbing licenses are a possibility down the road, its just so unstable now w the DEC, but something I would entertain in the future since I currently fish w some comm guys now. But thats a whole another animal but if I decided to do it I’d like the correct platform.
    But I truly appreciate the look of a DE boat.
    And PatriciaLynn is correct that it will take a bit getting used to since its now my boat and Im not just Pulling fish for the day on someone elses.

But I come to realize the days u can cruise 40-50 are few and far between. Plus being able to fish into the season more comfortably in condition w seas and weather is a Huuge plus.
    Actually the wife and kids will love it more than the CC I bet. My seats were bean bags and the toilet was an orange home depot bucket.

PatriciaLynn likes this.
  17. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    If you buy with plans on repowering be sure current drivetrain will accept more hp. 800hp will require a 2.5” shaft and a lot of room for a big transmission. People tend to forget about transmission clearance and just worry about the motor.

The 38nb will be faster than the 36 in most cases with same power even though it’s a larger boat. There’s one that will be for sale next season I know of that meets your goals but it’s double your budget unfortunately.

Downrigga and powderpro like this.
  18. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
  19. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Whatever... just grind, hack, and cut until it fits