The End of Cod Fishing

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by CaptDave, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    Received this press release http://www.nefmc.org/press/press_releases/2013/130122 NEFMC Press Release2.pdf today from the New England Fisheries Management Council regarding the latest cod assesment. Not good news at all for both the Gulf of Maine fishery and the Georges Bank fishery. Those cod fish off of Block Island and Montauk fall under this catagory. It looks like serious reductions for the next three years. Guess I will be chasing Hard Merchandise, Tuna.com and Pin Wheel around on the bank.

None of this would have happened if Jane Lubchenco did not force the catch share system down the throats of fisherman at the will of the Green Mafia. Remember north of the Cape we do not have sea bass, fluke, Mahi, oe porgy stocks large enough to have another fishery. This is the bread and butter of many of the charter boats and party boats in MA.

Anyone looking for an Eastern 31' that has been all redone?

Dave

InsuranceTim likes this.
  2. Brakeforhake

Brakeforhake Senior Member

nothing else to fish for what about tuna,pollock, hake, haddock, flounder, sharks, bluefish, striped bass to name a few. You could bring your boat south of the cape and fish the porgy and seabass season. Yes the days of bringing groups out to the bank for an easy limit of cod with minimal effort are over, but there is still plenty to fish for. Figure out how to re invent yourself and if you cant then maybe you shouldnt be in the fishing business anyway. With all the wicked tuna hype you would think a guy like you could sell a few tuna charters but i guess that would require skills.

3. cpt.josh

cpt.josh Member

Boat Make:
    26'6 Prokat Badkittytoo
    woah, hake thats a bit over the top man. while its true there are other fisheries, the cod trip is their big money maker, it would be like if they closed black sea bass for me sure i do a bunch of striped bass trips and tuna trips, but i make a bigger profit running three miles from the dock three trips a day for sea bass than i do running for tuna. if they closed the sea bass fishery i would be screwed profit wise. plus I'm in agreement with dave as to where to place the blame for these closures.

4. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Now that she is gone can the catch share system be overturned or reversed? The little that I know about it, it is all about money anyway.
    IMO the system is not better than doing nothing.

5. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Blitzin it so mested up her now I fish on a hook boat last week we set 3500 hooks for 200 lbs of fish we have the big boats cleaning all the fish up there is no need to have 10 or so 100 foot dragers working the west side of the bank its sick there is a bad state of the fisheries here

6. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Googin you are right on with how bad it is, she destroyed it with her Green friends pushing thier agenda. It will not get better and the sad part is one of the finalists to replace here is Mendina who was her administer of the program. We all know what we had two to three years ago because of the sacrifices both commercial and recs made.

Brake For Hake, I don't know you and some pretty harsh words my friend. First of all I have been in this business one way or the other since 1974 as a mate working out of Newburyport and as an owner the last 11 years or so. I have run plenty of charters and I will have no problem marketing other fisheries. You seemed to miss my point. April we have no bass, April we have no sharks, April we have no bluefish, April we have no tuna. This is a spring time fishery that many have built our business on with all day trips. This is why we have the boats we do and most folks here won't book all day (10 -12 hrs) for striped bass. Once the water warms up we have other species and we will need to get creative. Congratulations to the boats out of Montauk and PT Judith who will pick up a ton of new customers who love to cod fish. We could relocate but I bet they would not like another 50 boats fishing their waters.

You need to understand we use to have a lucrative year round cod fishery here for the charter and head boat fleet. Now we are tied to the dock with the exception of one boat that does 40 people for offshore pollock fishing Cashes seventy miles away. Down south and good for those guys they have a winter cod fishery, sea bass, fluke and stripers in the spring and summer and tog in the late fall. We do not have these species was my point. Also you mentioned haddock, the recommendation by the PDT is to go to 250 MT. A fraction of the fish and I believe less than what was allocated to the mid water boats as bycatch.

I do have the skills that you mentioned and the desire to take people fishing and will continue in this business while continuing to attend council and committee meetings representing our industry. I certainly hope you are doing the same and hope you have a banner 2013.

Respectfully,

Dave

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    InsuranceTim and Gypsy Soul like this.
  7. reelsportfishing

reelsportfishing Senior Member

charterboat captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    1999 40' Young Brothers
    Dave, being a charter boat in Pt. Judith the last 20 years, we do not have a spring fishery. The codfishing is basically over by April. The winter fishing is hit or miss and very weather dependent even for the head boats. Don't believe everything you read. The striped bass fishing starts the 2nd or 3rd week of May and the fluke season season soon after. Your tuna trips are alot closer than ours, besides we don't get alot of tuna trips with the one or two fish limits. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Fishing regulations suck but what sucks more are part time boats usually 20 to 25 feet taking guys out for next to nothing. It makes it difficult for guys like our selfs, with big boats and have thousands of dollars invested in the industry. If you want to get rich, this is the wrong business. Hang in there, warm weathers coming!

8. jerseysportfisher

jerseysportfisher Captain

I don;t know what i want to be when i grow up
    Boat Make:
    Bertram 33SF
    this right here hurt alot of the full time boats by me.

9. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    If I was looking to get rich, would have been doing something else. I have yet to meet a rich charter boat captain. We do this because we love to take people fishing however we certainly want to meet our expenses like other businesses and if lucky maybe have a few $$ left at end of season. The seasons just keep getting shorter and shorter each year it seems. I will be fine but have to feel bad for the ones who have invested in this fishery such as businesses with multiple party boats.

googinhater likes this.
  10. coddock

coddock Senior Member

I know of a couple charters in Gloucester in particular that my not be "rich" but they sure have done damn well over the years! Rich is a relative term...remember,we are all broke at different levels!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. greg

greg Captain

Are you blaming them or just that they exist?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
    greg,
  12. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Codock I'd like say its tuff and slow form the small boats to the big head boats the is a nail in the cofin

13. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Shawn,

You are correct and the past few days John Bullard sent a letter to the Council telling them they can not extend the 2012 rules to reduce overfishing and need to end over fishing now. Expect the estimated 85 percent reduction in both cod and haddock. This is a no win situation for all fisherman. Stand by for heavy rolls.

Dave

14. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Thanks for the bad new but it needs to start somewhere

15. jerseysportfisher

jerseysportfisher Captain

I don;t know what i want to be when i grow up
    Boat Make:
    Bertram 33SF
  16. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Make the cut and get on with it we need to do what Canada did and stop all ground fishing for a time rec and all sorry boy that's what we need bring it right back than talk about cuts

17. Palawanbound

Palawanbound Member

fishing
    Boat Make:
    30 ft Flowers
    They had some Maine boats on the news tonight from Portland,like one guy said they are scewed & they don't know what they are going to do with their big boats.I am screwed to start with because no matter what I do I have a 40 mile ride minuim from Stonington to even get on fish,one problem is the lobster traps,years ago there was only about 4 people that went offshore & we didn't fish many traps now the young guys are fishing the hell out of it so it would be a bitch to try & do hook fishing rod & reel & with all the gear in the water trawlin would be a pain in the ass,I've done it so I know.I bought a new 30' Flowers with the hope of going out with just rod & reel & catch 200 to 300 lbs. a day because the cod have showed up to the point you can haul them in pretty steady & have fun doing it,in state waters but with everyone telling the gov't there aren't any fish we the little people of the industry are fckd just like anyone else.I tried to talk to a local scientist(for lack of better word)he tried to tell me the cod would not have an impact on the lobster industry,I tried to tell him that the cod we had been catching were full of lobster,crab & small fish,he didn't believe me.I am sick of the BS I am sick of people telling me I don't know what I am looking at & sick of the gov't telling when where & how!I am launching the boat in April hopefully get all the bugs worked out so when I am allowed to go catch halibut I will be ready,if anyone doubts what I am say ing feel free to come with me anytime you want you can see for yourself,I'll even supply the gas & bait!As a last stand I figured they would never screw me on digging clams comm. but lo & behold not only do they want me to pay $535.00 for a license but they are talking that we may need to take a course on how to dig & take care of our clams!My dad had me in the flats when I was 6,I will be 52 in march,I think I got a grip on how to dig & take care of my clams,same with my lobsters, & I have done my share of taking care of ground fish.I recieved one more bit of bad news,here in Maine it is owner operator for lobstering,when I started building the new boat I ran short on money so I had a chance to sell my other boat so I had no way to haul my traps so not only did I miss the first season I missed last year as well,at present they are talking of doing a tier system so if you didn't land so many pounds you would be screwed,even if you had been fishing say 450 traps because of the poundage you would get limited to 50 traps,try making a living with that!yah I'm pissed & shit happens!My health is bad & they want me to retire but I am going on the boat one way or the other,I am going out the way I want,fishing,fuk it!

18. cb34

cb34 Captain

Bag limit for rec

Bag limit and size for rec? cod and haddock....thanks

cb34,
  19. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Good points and I wish you the best with that Flowers 30 and unfortunately the government does not get it. If they are saying there are no fish and folks can not go fishing how the hell are people suppose to pay for expeses. There is an editorial in the Gloucester Times by Jim Ford owner of the F/V Lisa Ann II out of Newburyport. He has a mortgage, kids in college, daily expenses on home and a boat and a mortage on the boat ove $7,000 month. It is a relatively new dragger and there is no way you reach in your piggy bank and pay that bill with spare change. We all need to reach out to our elected officials in writing, followed by a phone call requesting that they press congress to provide the $150 million dollar relief package that was approved and cut out of the Hurricane Sandy relief. It never should have been placed in there anyways. Remember, this fishery was asked to be declared a disaster by the NE delegation including governors, senators and congressman from around the region. It took over eight months to get a yes out of Rebecca Blank of NOAA and look where we are now.

Relief money is not going to fix the problem but it will help people out. The fisherman should not be having to pay for at sea monitoiring by observers. As far as charter/party rec limits go, who knows. I have been a charter boat owner whose business is eighty percent groundfish. Bookings are down by 80 percent right now because folks won't drive great distances to fish with a two fish bag limit. The Recreational Advisory Panel meets Mid Feb to hash out the options that the NEFMC will provide to meet the reductions and the new regulations will be voted on at the next council meeting. I encourage people who fish charter party or recreational vessels to attend and speak out. Once the options are on the table I will draft a letter and post here so people can write and demand what is best for us to stay in business.

Thanks and have a good day.

Resepectfully.

Capt Dave
    www.relentlesscharters.com

20. greg

greg Captain

It was put into the relief package because it had a good chance of making it there. If it was cut out by the house republicans from a relief package, there is no way in haydes they would pass it as a standalone bill.

There is no way they will approve a package to aid the northeast in general, and mass in particular. But be sure the senate critters from ma and nh and me will attach it somewhere in the 2012 budget. It will likely be stripped in the house though.

greg,