The End of Cod Fishing

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by CaptDave, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

The NEFMC provided the Recreational Advisory Panel a memo based upon the science and projections based on the last two years catch of cod and haddock in the Gulf of Maine. It was determined that the recreational sector could retain a nine cod fish per person at a minimum size of 19" and the unlimited haddock at 21" vice 19". This was based upon the historical landings per angler the last few years.

The RAP voted on and approved these measures which will now be forwarded to the NMFS administrator for approval. Now we will sit back and wait for the approval which I believe will happen or the rejection. At least there is some hope.

Let the bookings begin and good luck to all the guys who like to bounce a jig.

Dave

Gypsy Soul likes this.
  2. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Go luck. Hope the best for you guys that leaves you more cod in a year then most small (under 50 feet) day boats for the season so again I hope the best for you we need some big help here. Go get em dave

3. Palawanbound

Palawanbound Member

fishing
    Boat Make:
    30 ft Flowers
    If they make me take an observer I hope the poor bastard knows how to work a rod & reel can cut & bait his own hook cause if he wants to get paid he is gonna help catch the fish!I had to laugh I just got my new national Fisherman,I tried to work with the people at Penobscot east doing the tub trawl survey for cod,luckily for me they picked someone else.The study was set up to fail right from the start,I never did well fishing for cod out on mud bottom but I was asked to go out with Jason to show him where I catch cod which would have been a waste of time because they had specific spots where they had to fish & we would have been "outside the box" although in state waters.I don't claim to be the shell answer man but here's the one thing I have learnt,tomorrow is a different day,fish have tails they swim,they go where the bait fish are & if by chance they don't go where your great grandfather fished go looking to where they might be!I don't want to argue, fight or disrespect anyone,I want to take my rod & reel go catch some fish,have a good time doing what I love.I figure I can get enough gray hairs on my own I don't need the fishcrats helping out.

4. Tunascapes

Tunascapes Senior Member

Dave how does one determine historical landings on the recreational side of cod fishing?

5. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    You can't ask the observers to do shit and there dumb as shit there another big waste of are tax money joke

6. Palawanbound

Palawanbound Member

fishing
    Boat Make:
    30 ft Flowers
    I know you are right,it just sucks but it is what it is & me bitching isn't going to make it any better,sorry.I did ask the marine resources guy when I went to the seminar in Saco how they were getting all the info on rec fishing & he told me that people sent them the info,somehow I find that amazing that 100% of all rec fishermen are sending info loyally to our marine resources people,to bad there are no more fish left in the state of Maine,but thats another story!

7. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale
    I don't see how this makes any difference with the draggers still doing their damage and pushing to get more open areas.

8. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Ronny you can open it all no one has any fish left to catch it all solved in five years there's going to be 12 big 90+ footers left nmfs said GAME OVER Jane got her way

9. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Historical landings from the recreational sector including the charter/party fllet come from VTRs (Vessel Trip Reports) and MIRPS the shore side and phone calls that are made to private boaters. They would not have a true historical record for each private boater per say but know what the recreational catch is each year.

Ron, it does make a difference and the difference is we can fish. We had some days out there last season when the big draggers were there where we did well. You have to look around and head to the east. The difference is customers will come with an ipportunity for nine fish vs two fish. I know all of the charter boats that I have spoken to who are heavy hitters and have been in this industry for a very long time are estatic at the results of the RAP Meeting. It is not all doom and gloom, not sure why this would not be good news to you who does these types of charters.

10. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale
    This is nothing but kicking the can down the road, no different than what our gov is doing with this countries spending problem !
    Landings didn't come even close to quota thus the recommendation for no change in the regs.
    Why is that ?
    The draggers left little for us to catch.
    Hope the guys who depend on these fish have a good year.
    @ $4.00 + for a gal of diesel, I'll stay close to home & catch my bass

11. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Looking forward to the final aproval on the regs. In the mean time lots of bookings starting to come in now from both repeat and new customers. Can't wait to get back out and show folks there are fish east of the beach and all you have to do is go find them.

Dave

12. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Amen Ronnie

He has it right Capt. Dave.

I hope you catch something with your customers.

Yes, there are some scrod out there, but no whales to wow them with.

Personally, knowing the numbers of how many 30+ pound cod are probably there, I would have trouble killing any.

Look at landings this year and last, from all commercial auctions in NE.

Market Cod--- Lowest in history.
    Whales--- ??? I think they didn't land any.

When will we collectively get a conscience?

:confused:

P.S.- Dave, isn't it false advertising not stating that the season length may be very, very short even though the bag / size limit did not change much? I hope they give you a season to fish before warmer waters infiltrate and cod go offshore and deep.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  13. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Don't need whale cod Cappy, all we need is fish for the dinner plate and don't know why you are saying I am false advertising and no need for the personnal attacks. As far as the season being very short, we will fish our alloted allocation and if we fill fast and it shuts down we will inform our customers. We are always upfront with our clients and that is why we have had many repeats fisihing with us for the past 12 years.

Also are you a commercial ground fisherman by the way?

Dave

14. novivin

novivin Senior Member

What I do for a living, is not a matter that should be discussed here, or anywhere in regards to the shortage of cod.

I have been fishing my whole life, (recreational), for the table and of course, fun.

I sympathize with you, and hope my comments do not make you feel like it is a personal attack.

Don't take my opinion personally. I just visited your website and saw the cod news flash first. I thought anyone reading this thread should know that the fat lady has not sung yet, so to speak. We may experience a very short season, and then next year... maybe worse.

You seem very passionate. I think you should speak up and attend more council meetings. We need more people like yourself representing the recreational side of fishing.

My wife got a NMFS survey and filled it out/sent back on recreational fisheries management the other day. It asked a serious question. It asked if the private angler and head/party/charter quota should be considered separate.
    I would love to see that.

You guys are not recreational. You make money at your business right? You pay taxes on it right? You pay employees right? Well, if we private anglers have our way in the future we may have separate allotments. I think that is fair. Particularly, it is fair because many charter captains seem reluctant (aside from the sweet few) to admit that the cod population is in danger of collapse. The internet is funny. It can be a breeding ground for rebellion when ideas are exchanged. I think that the silence of many about cod on this and other forums and magazines over the past two years should tell you something.

I have listened to many commercial and recreational groundfisherman over the last 20 years and saw the gains made in the population erased by inadequate public involvement and a council set up for those with the strongest ability to make their interests a priority over the main goal, which should be higher numbers of fish.

If I were a business owner that depended on fish to be available to my customers, I would be the first one in line at the meetings and the one writing letters to my whole congressional delegation and state and federal officials complaining about the iniquities that abound on our dear NEFMC. The whole re-authorization of Magnuson was a farce, and created the perfect storm of events that led to the cod crisis, in my humble opinion. Catch shares and the opening of the rolling closure areas drew the cod population to it's knees. Barney Frank (idiot) was no friend of fisherman, commercial or rec. He just made it harder to manage for sustainability with his opening of the assessment process to interim assessments (population assessments at the public will). Essentially, the science is not robust or complete enough to expect good results from tweaking catch limits so often. Also, we manage on a razor's edge. We need to include a conservative buffer to catch limits, especially when stocks are so badly degraded.

You can't have closed areas for over a decade and open them over night to uncontrolled take with no protection for a species that spawns in dense aggregations. The idea was preposterous. We still have too much fishing effort in NE and hopefully the situation will decrease that once and for all.

If you care about cod, don't let them open the permanent closures. This will be like insult to injury. We need to band together to confront this final threat. Dave, I mean no harm. I am only trying to help by speaking the truth.

15. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Well I appreciate the fact that this was not a personnal attack and yes I am passionate about this industry. I grew up in Newburyport and worked as a mate on charter boats in the 70's. When we were not doing charters we were commercial fishing for tuna and I did a little bit of gill netting and I mean a little bit.

I thought with your knowledge of the landings you must have been a commercial fisherman and that is why I asked your profession. I have been the owner of this business since 2001 and have ran several hundred charters and have a strong knoweldge of the industry. As far as attending meetings, I have been doing it for years and not only attend but have addressed the council, groundfish committee, and the recreational advisory panel. When I can not attend I try to provide written comments such as the letter enclosed in the correspondence file during the last meeting. I feel we must be heard and am in constant discussions with the Chairman of the RAP. You are right on the money about more folks getting involved, even though I did not attend the last meeting I listened on line and there were no comments from the audience regarding the recreational side of the house. As a matter of fact I did not see too many other lettters from recreational fisherman other than a few who were members of the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association.

The SBCBA has over 130 members and is very involved in issues and has members on the RAP, HMAP and other committees. I am on the Board of Directors for the group and was the VP for about three years.

The issue of charter boats being commerical is very controversial because the definition of a commercial fishing vessel is one selling catch. Are we in a business to make a profit taking RECREATIONAL anglers fishing, absolutely. If totally commercial we would fall under the rules of the CFVSA (Commercial Fishing Vessel Safety Act) which would mean every passenger on board our boats and party boats would require to have a survival suit. Once again we are not selling our catch.

The issue of having a seperate TAC for charter/party and recreational boats has lbeen discussed in the past and it is the private recrational representation on the RAP who oppose along with the groundfish committee. Not so sure it will ever be put into place.

We would not be in this position today if NOAA (Jane) did not drive the catch share agenda down our throats. All it did was put too much effort on the inshore grounds. Two years ago the fishing was the best in years and you could see the sacrafices made by commercial and recrational were paying off. It went to hell last year and we did have to get into the closed areas to find fish that have historically been on top.

I do appreciate your response and I feel we will be fine as long as we don't have a huge wave of fish move onto the bank to feed on the sand lance. An angler can still have a nice day on the water landing not only cod but haddock, pollock, cusk, redfish and hake. Once the water warms they can also try for tuna and shark. This makes it a nice day on the water and not only about catching cod.

Have a nice weekend and maybe I will meet you at one of the meetings.

Repspectfully,

Dave

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  16. Palawanbound

Palawanbound Member

fishing
    Boat Make:
    30 ft Flowers
    I am not only frustrated I'm confused,we are seeing more cod in my area up in the bays & some of the cod we caught last time I went were between 27" to 36".One of the local scientist tried to convince me that they don't eat lobsters but just about every fish we caught had lobster or crab parts in it.Lobstering is my main source of income & I am concerned that with the amount of cod being caught in traps & seeing fish up in the bays that we could see a demise in the lobster industry that the gov't guru's have been waiting for.I also took a prof from UNH diving & he informed me that he was finding marine life indemic of the Chesapeake Bay area in Penobscot Bay which had never been documented before.Who knows what is going on but before I thru in the towel that there isn't any fish left someone needs to get off there ass in gov't & check things out before shutting us down for good.The reason for saying that is I went to a meeting in Ellsworth Maine,the people that were speaking kept saying that there were no more cod left in the GOM hadn't even been fishing but to get grant money you need to talk doom & gloom & they have that down to a science.Even though it will cost me more for the gas to go catch my one fish then if I went to the grocery store I will do it,why because I love fishing & because I can,enjoy catchin your 9 cod.