Topshot connection

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by buckfeva, Jul 29, 2019.

1. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

I've been using the finger trap style connection for my dacron to topshot connection for 20 years. Now that I've got miles of topshot, I'd like to switch to a faster method of changing it out. Does anyone have a youtube link or description on how to put a swivel on the end of my dacron? I use 200lb tuf line for backing. Thanks

2. SPINE-A-LINER

SPINE-A-LINER Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36'
    I use an advanced fishermans knot. I tested breaking strength with a scale. My backing is braid and I found 7 twists was much stronger than 6 before going thru the bottom loop. With Dacron it bunches up so I found 5-6 twists tested well. Good luck!

3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    A simple splice is your best bet.

Onearcher likes this.
  4. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

Like what I'm currently doing or something else?

5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I don't know what your doing now but a splice usually will not fail and is simple to do. Are you having trouble with a splice coming apart?

6. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

I feed 12ft of topshot into the dacron then serve/ whip both ends... a bit time consuming and I lose 12ft of backing every time I do it. If im changing top shot frequently, it's a pain.

Guys that use swivels only have a crimp to do but im not sure if that's a braid only setup

7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    If you really want a spro on your dacron you just make a loop and splice the loop back into the dacron. Connect the spro with a cats paw knot ...very easy but I would prefer just a splice.

CMEBoston likes this.
  8. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I fish a lot and I don't change my top shot very often unless something damages the line. Why are you changing top shot often?

9. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

2 fathoms is a lot and I wouldn’t serve the upper end just where the dacron meets the mono. If the upper slips you can’t get it back tight again. With just the lower whip you simply wet and run hand up with tension on the line and you are back in business.

As for length I do 6’ but can say that 12 inches or so will hold; as we had a screamer last season that ran the sinker up to the serving (which was from previous season) and pushed the splice back. Once we ripped off the weight she held for 3 hours, though it was damn unnerving watching that little bitty splice go on & off the reel again & again.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Cdux,
    stumpstalker and Downrigga like this.
  10. jig boat

jig boat Member

To make your life a little easier, you only have to serve/whip the end where the mono enters the dacron. By serving both ends you are basically doing away with the finger trap, and relying only on the serves. The following link(from BHP Tackle) shows how to put a loop in the end of your dacron. Then you can use an offshore swivel knot to attach a swivel.

Spliced End Loop :: BHP Tackle

Personally I'd stick with mono header served into the dacron, and crimp on a swivel to the leader.

Basil likes this.
  11. jig boat

jig boat Member

LOL Cdux beat me to it.

12. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

I figured I didn't need that much but I was taught that so I stuck with it. It sure does work well and is very simple with the needle. I guess I'm over thinking it.

I don't change that often in the past but I caught two fish and changed the top shots and my next trip out they were already banged up, not exactly sure how...

13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    How long is your leader? The top shot usually stays in good shape.

14. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Where you been man? We got to do a canyon trip before the summer is over. It's has been off the hook out there. Screw this bluefin joke fishery.

15. Basil

Basil New Member

serve/ whip both ends...

Serving both ends defeats the finger trap. Old school holdover, have heard this many times. The other one is passing the leader in and out of the Dacron. No need, no good.

Downrigga likes this.
  16. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

Well that's good to hear, half the effort isn't required.

17. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

18-25', yes, it usually does. Like I said, I wasn't happy they were roughed up so quick. But now that I have a 25lb spool, I no longer want to fish with any line that isn't in perfect shape. Remove any chance of a break off, although I've fished and caught with less than perfect many times.

18. Pilot-Werx

Pilot-Werx Member

Whip a loop in the end and buy wind ons from Basil. Spool with hollow, attach a wind on, add a swivel and attach your leader.

19. buckfeva

buckfeva Member

I appreciate that advice but I've built/ made/ fixed everything on my boat, can't start cutting corners on the easy stuff.

20. fisheast

fisheast Member

You should see the splices that come out of some tackle shops up here basil. Stay away goose hummock and green harbor. Notoriously bad. James at elite tackle does a good splice.