transom question?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Dennis M Cruz, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

Hello, does anyone know what this material is in my transom? It looks like it maybe seacoast or something like that. Also looks like they poured the material in between stern side fiberglass and a layer of wood AFT side which is fiberglassed over only AFT side. looks like the fiberglass delaminated from the material or job was just poorly done. Transom does feel solid and only sign of problem was the edge cracked and when I lifted it I discovered this mess. I would appreciate anyones opinion on how the handle this. Should I just cut out the inner section of transom and redo it or can I just use some penetrating epoxy and get it to stay together and make a stronger surface for the fiberglass to stick to?

Attached Files:

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Seacast has strands of fiberglass mixed into it. Can you see any evidence of that? Hard to really tell from the picture what the material is, but it looks like a hack job with Bondo to me. I say hack job simply because whoever did this failed to do the entire transom the correct way and took a major short cut. That alone is a tip off for what lies ahead. I recently did a transom replacement and chose to cut the outer skin off and attack it from the outside. It was easier because the outside surface is just flat with no contours to have to match.

3. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

Thank you for the response. Being its June already and the boating season is short here in New York I think I may just use some thickened epoxy and glass over it for now and in the fall rip it open and replace the core in the transom. may just do the inside as I may rip some of the deck up so I can get a good look at the stringers. Payed 5ooo for this '77 seaway 23' hard top in summer of last year and did not notice this crack until I uncovered it a few weeks ago. I knew I was buying and old boat and it would need some work but I am starting to think I spent to much.Either way its my first boat and I will just suck it up and do my best to make her beautiful again. It should be a good experience either way as I have not done much fiberglass work before so needed to start somewhere.

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Boating in general is a learning experience! Enjoy and stay safe out there.

5. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

thank you

6. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Senior Member

Maritime Lawyer; Fisherman; USCG Master 50 Ton
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
    Tapping lightly with a small hammer across the entire surface of the transom, while listening to the sound, can give you some idea how extensive the problem is before you open it up completely. A moisture meter also can provide an indication of which areas are compromised. Depending on the extent of the problem, addressing the issue now before you venture out anywhere with that boat might be indicated. I have used penetrating epoxy in limited areas of soft cored deck and cored cabin top, as a temporary fix, but I would not be inclined to rely on that method for a transom fix, unless you find that the bad area is limited to the top edge of the transom, only (possible but unlikely). The tapping and moisture meter might answer that question.

7. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

I bought a moisture meter from Home Depot and it indicates a lot of moisture through out transom. But tapping with a hammer sounds ok. I am new to boats so I would not trust my ears to know for sure. I have a 90hp Mercury 2 stroke on her and it seems rock solid. I am thinking I am going to just replace the core.

8. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Is there any deflection or indentation where the engine mounts are installed? Any flexing or other movement at all at the transom? If so, I am hoping you are planning to recore the transom before you run the boat at much more than an idle, if at all, and then only in flat calm conditions. That will be a time consuming job, one that must be done right to be structurally sound. I think you will find descriptions on this forum of how to go about recoreing a transom, but in any event, you will want to go slow and do it right. Then, to avoid a repeat of the process later, take extra care that no moisture remains or ever again gets into the transom, i.e. through bolt holes or screw holes, etc. Consider not using wood of any type in any form as the core, if possible. (Whether to recore with wood or to upgrade to a non-organic coring material can be the subject of reasonable debate, and probably will be here.)

9. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

This is the part that is a little confusing as the transom is solid. The only indication of a problem was this small section having a crack in some glass that was installed incorrectly. I thin mixture of resin was off as it was tacky under piece of glass I ripped off. But this glass was not from the repair but the previous owner did it as extra insurance he claimed. Also I plan to use either Coosa board or something like it.

10. speedwagon

speedwagon Senior Member

Kailua Kid likes this.
  11. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Seal it up and run the boat.

You would be surprised how many boats are out there with wet and rotted transoms.

Come up with a plan and attack it in the fall/winter.

Big Joe, Benny and Genius like this.
  12. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    I have used the Seacast stuff and it does a nice job. However, like anything, there are ways to screw it up. Not digging out the entire transom and doing the entire thing in one pour would be one of those ways for sure.

13. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Speedwagon: Very useful information in the pdf. Thank you for sharing this.

Dennis M Cruz likes this.
  14. Dennis M Cruz

Dennis M Cruz Member

Thank you all. Yes the plan is to sand down most of the transom top section and glass it over as it was done terribly. There is some blistering on some of the areas of top section of transom. Then this fall tear into the transom plus get a better look at stringers. As if areas I can see they look good but some of the glass is delaminating and some areas are bare.

15. Quik Fix 16

Quik Fix 16 Member

Fiiberglass guy
    Boat Make:
    Shamrock
    Just my opinion here but, you may not have a transom problem. In a lot of shops, when the cap is bonded to the hull, a worker will grind too much off at the seam which will allow the separation you seem to have. If it were my boat and I did not see any further problem, I would reglass the area.