Transporting a Very Light Skiff

Gobottomfish

I am considering bringing our Annapolis Wherry to MDI for our daughter and grandchildren to use on the lakes there. The trip is about 450 miles one way, and am looking for input on the the best way to get it there in one piece.
A trailer is out, as it would be a one time use only, and would be concerned about road conditions and its very light weight, 66 pounds, and it taking a beating. I was thinking about possibly putting it atop our truck, a Tahoe. I can think of two possibilities;
1- build a cradle lined with pipe insulation for the boat to sit in, the cradle secured to the roof rack and the boat tied dow as well. I am concerned that at speed, say 70 mph, it may not be very stable.

2- build two bunks, lined with pipe insulation, secured to the roof rack, and the boat would sit in the bunks, secured to the bunks and the roof rack. Same concern as above though.

3- is leave it home and sell it. Which would only make me happy.

Any other thoughts on how this might be done?

Thanks!

IMG_1480.JPG

Bern

Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
Whenever I transport long aluminum gutter or PVC lumber lengths; I open up an extension ladder and strap to it shimming as needed. Maybe some cross bars on an extension ladder?

Bill

Administrator
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I think you could rent the 12x6 open uhaul trailer and do what @Bern said and just drop it off locally they don’t charge mileage

6FBB6E8E-A144-405E-AC63-3EA2AC6F9C4A.jpeg

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Gobottomfish

Grandkids going to row that sucker?
Yup.....take the rowing seat out, put a pair of oarlocks on it, put the six year old on board, head her down wind, and watch her go........in circles! Good fun for all. The little guy, he's at the chewing stage, and would like to chew on the oars rather than row.

The boat w/o the rowing seat, weighs about 40 pounds......built out of 4 mm okume, stitch and glue method.

Old Mud, your so right. My first boat at 8 was a row boat. I learned so much by rowing up and down the creek almost everyday, and saw things that those passing by a lot faster would never see.

Cool Boat

The last time I hauled a large skin on frame umiak I put it on two home made padded roof racks made from strong 1x4's (mahogany I had laying around). This was on a Scion Xb. A couple of lines and was ready to go. My fuel mileage went down a bit though! It should be easy on a Tahoe. Test it locally at speed before heading out. Shrink wrapping your pretty boat would be a good thing too but I would avoid anything loose that would flap against it for hundreds of miles and hurt the finish. Good luck! We don't use this boat anymore if anyone needs one. All steam bent white oak frames, ballistic nylon skin. Very light. Did 10 knots with a 3.5 Johnson but I was afraid of it flipping if it got wind under it.

IMG_7314.JPG

MAArcher

Grab a used canoe/kayak rack of of craigslist or facebook marketplace for the roof of the tahoe? Sell it when you're done if you don't want to hang on to it..

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I am considering bringing our Annapolis Wherry to MDI for our daughter and grandchildren to use on the lakes there. The trip is about 450 miles one way, and am looking for input on the the best way to get it there in one piece.
A trailer is out, as it would be a one time use only, and would be concerned about road conditions and its very light weight, 66 pounds, and it taking a beating. I was thinking about possibly putting it atop our truck, a Tahoe. I can think of two possibilities;
1- build a cradle lined with pipe insulation for the boat to sit in, the cradle secured to the roof rack and the boat tied dow as well. I am concerned that at speed, say 70 mph, it may not be very stable.

2- build two bunks, lined with pipe insulation, secured to the roof rack, and the boat would sit in the bunks, secured to the bunks and the roof rack. Same concern as above though.

3- is leave it home and sell it. Which would only make me happy.

Any other thoughts on how this might be done?

Thanks!

View attachment 85905

had to laugh when you said would only make you happy. guess , no it wouldnt ,too pretty of a boat to sell it .

bill

Top Bottom