Tuna running report

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by JasonD, May 26, 2017.

1. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

FYI talk on Facebook is the guy who used to buy under rainbow connection (& left a lot of boats with just a receipt) is hooked up with them. Before my time & offer no option just info.

Cdux,
  2. cb34

cb34 Captain

one dollar per pound was the price Sunday. Everyone should take the next two weeks off to see if the market recovers

cb34,
    tuna_fan likes this.
  3. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

No doubt. Charters and jumpers for us the next few weeks

Cdux,
  4. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

hopefully people will listen and stop bringing them in for now ... but i doubt it

5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

OK about the 2 weeks, Im all in for that and even longer if that's what it takes. My 2 Weeks start NOW !!. Although i couldn't afford it I would be in for taking the whole season off. Yeah i know i would be all alone.

Thanks for the heads up, I don't do facebook so can't check it out.
    Oh i know Rainbow, I was one of the lucky ones and got paid but i know a few who didn't . Especially the guys that were 3 or so fish in. FWIW i wouldn't sell to him a fish for 25. a pound !!!.
    I would like to confirm that if i could. BTW which buyer do u think he's with ? You can PM me that if you want.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  6. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Captain

Cash always talks must louder than a promise. I don't sell them, so I know there is a different game going on in with some.
    People work hard, and spend more money to catch these fish, then they could ever make up to break even. The buyer did not invest One Dime in a boat, or fuel, or bait , or tackle, or hours upon hours of time to land a fish that will only pay a fraction of the cost that it cost to catch it.
    I truly believe, that if you had to rely on catching Tuna on rod and reel for your livelihood , then you would be on welfare, be starving, and have your boat repossessed. Take your pick !
    You just did not go out there and throw a worm in the water and catch a Blue Fin Tuna that paid $20.00 per lb. and go home with a $15,000.00 check. More than likely it cost $20,000.00 to catch that $15,000.00 fish.
    Thank God I had a job that paid me every week to put those worms on the hook and hope for the best. That's fishing !!!

tuna_fan and HUNTHARD like this.
  7. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    I paid my bills for 2 summers with bluefin checks...and lobstering full time and charters. There isn’t a single person that puts food on the table exclusively with bluefin I don’t care what you say. The amount of guys on fb and other places that are acting like this is the difference between life and death is frankly offensive. The biggest offenders seem to clearly have good other sources of income too. I don’t get these guys trying to defend this fishery. It is what it is; you get to put some money back into the boat or it’s supplemental income. That’s it. I’d bet the best highliner out there that absolutely kills them might see 20-30k profit after it’s all said and done

8. JasonD

JasonD Senior Member

Fishing
    By CAPE COD TIMES

February 08, 2000

HARWICH � Harwich and Chatham police have joined forces in investigating whether a New York-based tuna buyer may have bilked more than 30 fishermen out of more than $100,000 in fish they sold to the company last year.

Harwich Sgt. Thomas Gagnon, who is working with Chatham Police Officer Michael Cantwell, said police expect to seek charges in the next couple weeks against Dennis Gore, owner of Rainbow Connection Ltd., a Long Island operation. Gore's company took fish on consignment from fishermen from Gloucester to New Jersey last year. The largest number of fish was taken in Harwich.

Gagnon said many local fishermen were riding high on last summer's excellent tuna season, only to be shocked when they were never paid.

"These poor guys, a lot of them didn't have a Christmas," he said.

The National Marine Fisheries Service is conducting its own investigation of Rainbow Connection, Gagnon said. The service could impose financial penalties if it finds the company violated any fishing regulations.

Once local police determine if there is probable cause to charge Gore, they will try to combine the court actions out of Plymouth County, since the Massachusetts-caught fish were processed in Marshfield before being sold overseas.

Attempts by the Times to reach Gore were unsuccessful.

STAND UP GUY!!!

Kailua Kid, winterking and Dslpwr like this.
  9. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason
    Well they just made it 1 a day

Attached Files:

Bill,
    Old Mud and breakaway like this.
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Bout Freekin time !! Hey i have a novel idea, they should make it one a day for the long liners also. Then we could get back to our $25.00 a #. :eek: :p

Not trying to kill the messenger here Bill :)

11. SeacoastNH

SeacoastNH Member

This is a different way of looking at it and I couldnt agree more. I follow the one of the Bluefin Tuna pages and a great argument ensued about the effects of the Wicked Tuna show on the fishery. It was comical to watch one guy say the show didnt make a difference while everyone knows his entire tuna fishing existence sprouted from the show. Im of the opinion that the show opened the fishery to the masses and encouraged amateur fisherman to start fishing for giants. You can see it every weekend on any of the hot spots in our area.

12. SeacoastNH

SeacoastNH Member

I saw some text messages posted on FB between this buyer and a fisherman that confirmed it was the same guy. I never had any dealings with him and only know of the rumors and hearsay. But its enough that I wouldnt consider swapping buyers.

13. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Wicked tuna single handedly raised the downeast boat market and gave shops more work then they can handle. I think in the next year or so we are going to see everything come full circle. From boats and gear coming up for sale. To shops getting caught up. The market is bad for all parties involved. Forget about making money you can't even pay for the fuel and the bait.

Joshbel02 likes this.
  14. LadyMaureen

LadyMaureen Captain

Boat Make:
    Wesmac

I agree. I think guys who want to pay for a boat (hobby) by fishing somehow have to be multi-dimensional. You can't do it by simply fluke, striper or even tuna fishing commercially anymore. You have to have a versatile boat and tap into many revenue opportunities. Fish for different species (assuming you can with permits etc) but also do the charter thing (even a limited amount can go a long way toward paying the boat bills).

Just my two cents.

Old Mud, stumpstalker and Kailua Kid like this.
  15. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35’ Duffy, Cummins 400C
    I have a full time job just to afford my fishing habit.

LadyMaureen and CapeCodNorton like this.
  16. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Sewing circle chat is that he is with Seafarer and cold calling all of NATs & Chubby boats trying pluck fish while they are in a self-imposed moratorium while these big lean & red fish push thru.

Cdux,
    Old Mud and JasonD like this.
  17. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35’ Duffy, Cummins 400C
    I believe Dennis Gore is now buying fish under Sea Fresh, maybe it's Seafarer.

18. jon3030

jon3030 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35' Five Islands
    I sold to Dennis last Summer and had no issues getting paid and the returns were very good. I haven’t put a line in the water yet but when I do I will sell to him again.

19. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I would'nt piss up Dennis Gores asshole if his heart was on fire. Anyone considering selling anything to him would be wise to reconsider.

ATM, xbskt, Tuna Hotline and 5 others like this.
  20. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Don't be shy tell us what you really think !! :D

xbskt, tailhook and Dslpwr like this.