tutorial for replacing deck and stringers on something like an old 20' Eastporter?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by MAArcher, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

1. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Does any one know of an online video or photo tutorial of the steps to take to replace the deck and stringers in something like an old Eastporter?
    Thanks!

2. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    @Eastporter
    I will be doing my Eastporter as soon as I finish my “honey do” list.

Eastporter likes this.
  3. Dslpwr

Dslpwr Captain

Sales and service
    Boat Make:
    35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
    Is list getting smaller or larger? Mine always get larger before they start to shrink!

4. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Eastporter 20' 1976/2011 Rebuild

5. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Did you "bed" the stringers? I watched an old "Ship Shape TV" and in that boat they bed the stringers in some sort of compound saying that if there was direct contact with the stringers and the hull it would be weaker because if you hit something it could actually shear the hull along the stringers. Beding the stringers allowed a little flex in the hull I guess. Also, is there any benefit to painting all the lumber? Or maybe coating everything with something like Flex Seal spray or bedliner before you put the deck down?

Any pro's and cons of using pourable flotation foam rather than the foam boards?

I don't have the boat but I just saw one for sale where the restoration is in process, the deck is up and some of the stringers are down. Not sure if it was being done right so just wondering what it would take if I did it over the right way if its not right.

6. fordy

fordy Senior Member

It sounds like your about 3 months of research behind attempting a project like this.

The reason you don't see videos of this process is because the camera would be ruined by all the fiberglass dust

steveinak likes this.
  7. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Stringers were bedded in thickened epoxy and then glassed over. I don't think many people worry about the hull to stringer hard spots, but it you want to add a piece of foam and then glass a few layers it would be fine.

8. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Perfect, its about three months until its warm enough to go outside and start a project like this!

9. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

More trouble than its worth?

Attached Files:

10. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Nope. As long as the hull is in good shape.

11. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    I think the hard work has been done. Glass the stringers in, bilge paint, 3/4" dry PT plywood, glass, nonskid. What's the transom like?

12. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Don't know yet. Asked for pics but haven't heard back. Hope to go take a look at it tomorrow.

13. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I've seen guys tackle way worse

Plastered and Diesel Jerry like this.
  14. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Don’t forget in the Downeast....actually entire boating world there is more than one way to get things done. I am using Eastporters build as a guideline, but not my gospel. Not that he did anything wrong because he didn’t. I will not be using wood. I will be using Coosa. For one reason, I don’t want to be a hypocrite. I constantly preach the use of composites on here if I deferred to using wood that would remove value from what I have stated in the past. To be devils advocate on myself I have seen many boats finished with PT and plywood that have lasted 30 plus years.
    You are not 3 months behind in anything. You will find tons of information on rehabbing a boat on this forum. Look up builds by PowderPro, Leaky, and many others. My ears are always open and willing to help.

MAArcher likes this.
  15. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Just based on those few pics and that there's a old 90hp evinrude (condition unknown) as well as a parts motor that go with it, and some lumber for the project, what do you think would be a good price to pay? It might work out that I can go check out the boat tomorrow. I'm thinking the trailers's worth $500 if its in good condition and a stripped hull like that might be worth $500, and even if just for parts the motors have to be worth something, so if I can get the whole kit and caboodle for under $1k I'd be doing OK and would probably be able to recoup my investment after its all said and done, maybe even come out ahead of the game?

16. fordy

fordy Senior Member

Doesn't look like it self bails. For some styles of boating that doesn't matter

17. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Most Eastporter 20s do self bail, but the scupper may be close to the waterline so they plug it (taking out to drain).

18. fordy

fordy Senior Member

That doesn't count as self bailing

19. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Mine was self bailing. Most are. I am dropping my deck height so it will no longer be self bailing. I will be doing a...sump of sorts against the transom with two bilge pumps.

20. MAArcher

MAArcher Member

Given that the deck is being replace, maybe it could be raised a bit and scuppers relocated, or use ball scuppers if they are just a little close where it is. Either way I'd make is self bailing I think. The similar boat I had briefly before had a 1" drain/scupper that was right at the waterline and was partially blocked by the motor bracket. I didn't even know it was there the first time I put it in the water and didn't figure it out until my son asked "Dad, are we sinking? I was tied up at the dock and busy trying to get the motor started, didn't even notice we were taking on some water.

Eastporter, on the Recess it looks like you had round scuppers then switched over to larger rectangle ones, any reason for that?