Want to Learn More About Tuna

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by CaptDave, Dec 3, 2019.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    Next Thursday December 12th, the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association is hosting a roast beef and haddock dinner in Marshfield with Dr. Molly Luctavage, Director of the Large Pelagic Research Center as the guest speaker. You do not need to be a member of the SBCBA or a charter boat captain to attend. the event is open to all fisherman. Currently there are still about 30 tickets left and the price is $20.00 per person. Included is a roast beef and haddock buffet. SBCBA coffee mug and listen to a scientist who will tell us more about bluefin tuna. The dinner is at Haddad's Restaurant in Marshfield with cocktail hour from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM followed by dinner. For additional information and to order tickets, please open the link below. NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR. Thank You.

December 12th Annual Dinner At Haddad’s Ocean Cafe | Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association

tuna_fan, CapeCodNorton and Jay c like this.
  2. Hammer Slammer

Hammer Slammer Senior Member

Builder
    Boat Make:
    31 Duffy
    Dave the Link doesn’t seem to work are there any tickets.
    Jamie

3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I believe it is sold out but maybe you could call him. She is pretty interesting for sure. I am looking forward to listening to her.

4. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
  5. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Excellent turn out on Thursday evening with close to 80 in attendance. Met many fisherman who I did not know and have a passion for being on the water, Dr. Molly's presentation was eye opening on why we may have so many skinny fish coming over the rail. At the end of the night the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association made a donation to the Large Pelagic Research Lab to help Molly continue her work in the amount of $1,000. The only we can make these types of donation towards folks like Molly who support us is through dues. Please Consider looking at the website and joining the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Assoc which is open to all fisherman. Charter Boat Captains are $60 year and all others $30 annually. You can join and pay dues by clicking here.

CapeCodNorton likes this.
  6. morgan1727

morgan1727 Senior Member

Curious, what were her thoughts on the skinny fish?

7. kcassells

kcassells Captain

Master Plumber
  8. winterking

winterking Captain

Very interesting, first I've heard of another spawning grounds besides the med and the gulf. Would be interesting to hear her reasons for the skinny fish. Thanks for sharing that link.

9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The reason for the skinny fish is because they were in the middle of spawning. First time ever fish seen in the GOM. There was no funding to do any tows to determine exactly where its taking place but the news is pretty exciting. How does she know it was happening? If you remember last July she was asking everyone to save the
    gonads. Due to the unusual size and the amount of fat she had a hunch. She sent 60 something sets to the worlds leading authority on sexual reproduction. He is certain it was taking place.

The big question is was this an outlier year? Is this something that will repeat itself? The fact that this actually has been proven is huge news and begs the question, are we going to take this into consideration when looking at next year? Do we want to be landing spawning fish in June and July that are not worth shit but count toward the quota? Do we want to disturb fish in the middle of a spawn? This development makes the 4 fish a day in June and July seen like a very bad idea. Should we even be fishing for BFT in June and July? Historically, its been a fall fishery. It should remain that way. To not have an October/ November fishery is a joke.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  10. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    Downrigga,

You hit the nail on the head and explained it very well. Not sure if you were there but Cape Cod Norton was and sure he can echo the same. you are correct, is this something we will see in 2020 or is it just an outlier year? Remember she is operating on a shoestring budget and any donations made to the LPRL wouild be more than appreciated.

Dave

11. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Hi Dave,

Yes I was there and as always, found her to be very informative. I was blown away by that news. Last time I checked, which was a long time ago, there were over 13k federal tuna permits. I think it would be a good idea if every boat that purchased a fed tuna permit made an annual $20.00 donation to her cause. She is our friend and its because of her efforts this fishery was not shut completely down in the late 90's. 20 bucks is nothing to us but collectively it would bring much needed funding to continue her research. The transmitters she is using are outdated and new ones would give her much better information. I remember those doom and gloom meetings in the 90s. She saved the day with good science. She has a lot of common sense and we need to support her now more than ever. I'm sure tackle stores and fishing associations would be proactive by offering up a "support molly" sticker in their stores for 20 bucks. Cant think of a better way to spend 20 bucks can you? Maybe the tuna buyers could get in on the act as well.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    1rider likes this.
  12. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

Boat Make:
    I wish I had a chance to meet you, I was busy playing MC at least next year I can sit in the audience. Our organization (hope you join) is doing what we can to support her. I wish more people would just open up wallet and donate directly $10, $20, $50 or more. When she was explaining the aerial surveys if I remember right, it was the same time there was a push to put BFT on CITES. She is great and glad we were able to have her come down. The joke I made about having a discussion in the beer hall and I said "We can do that at the end of the night" became reality when she and her husband had a few downstairs with other fisherman talking about tuna. Once again, thanks for attending.

CapeCodNorton likes this.
  13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I wish I stayed for that. Its like a free lesson in a lot of different topics being around her.

14. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Geez Dave, sorry i just saw this now. I would have loved to gone. I know Molly well and the work she has put in through the years is mind boggling. Would have been nice to see you guys also.

15. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Molly is a good friend and valued scientist, I think we can all agree on that. With that said mature giant Bluefin target Herring. Their bodies recognize the value in that forage base and there gonads need it to generate fecundity. How many herring did you guys catch this year? When the fish were fat years ago the Herring schools went for miles and miles. Today guys get excited when they find a tiny little spot with a few on the bottom. Those spots usually aren’t big enough to support two or three boats with sabiki rods!

I am not arguing that there is likely a “new” spawning location close by as it seems to be proven true. But this has been brought up before at ICCAT in an area known as the slope sea and believe it or not green groups and there lobbyists actually made an argument saying that this was a bad thing. I was there at the meeting in an appointed position, not as an AP member but something different. Sorry I forget the name right now.Regardless the ENGOs actually argued that because of the fact that there is likely another spawning area then there should be even more Bluefin than they said were being seen! These fuckers can spin this anyway they want, very frustrating.

Bottom line is that Bluefin need Herring and they are just not available in volume for them to eat right now. Will the stock rebound? I believe it will. In the 70s prior to the 200 mile limit the large factory ships from other countries literally crucified the Herring stock on Georges and they managed to rebound quite nicely. I believe at this point the 200 mile limit was born to help protect the resource. In the early to mid 90s midwater trawlers came into the picture and history has repeated itself even though there was and still is an endless amount of fisherman telling fisheries managers that there was a problem with the Herring stock. This would be where the group known as CHOIR came about. This very large group of people and businesses is made up of everyone from whale watchers to fisherman to birders. Many of the people that were unified and determined to prove to our own government and fisheries managers that the Herring stock was in trouble and the gear type known as mid water trawling was very likely the reason would not be seen in the same room together under normal circumstances nevermind be unified in the way that they were in order to bring this fact to light.

Until we have a healthy steady supply of Herring again we will have a “mostly skinny” Bluefin stock. It’s tough gettin fat on 3” long sand eels.

I’m not going to get into fishing in June and July right now but to think that the paltry amount of fish that get caught then by mostly harpoon boats is putting a damper on an October and November fishery is just not true and the numbers support that. Energy and pressure to get the relatively “new” North Carolina fishery under control would make more sense for one! They catch double there special set aside quota almost annually.

Too many easily hooked fish, too few secrets and way too many fisherman, simple as that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    tuna_fan, 1rider, Stickman and 3 others like this.
  16. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Not a tuna guy by any means but I will agree, I have not chased stripers in my area for a few years. Bait has not been around in the areas I fish. So the fish just follow the bait to a new ground that supports the bait. Ya there are some around just not the majority we had years ago. I'm sure it will come back.. Glad I'm not trying to do this for a living And if anybody has the argument about recreational vs commercial i can feel for you but in Bass fisheries i have seen just as many dopes, commercial as i have seen recreational but that a whole nother story. I'm quite sure tuna fishing has more (much more)

17. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

we saw some herring this year... right at dawn they started to ball up under the boat - we could not believe it. within 2 hrs we were surrounded by seiners, and that was that. that particular spot was herring free for the rest of the season whenever we tried it. macs seemed pretty consistent to us this year...esp if we stayed overnight we caught no problems...guessing that macs don't "fill the fat need" as effectively as herring though...

i missed the molly talk, is she saying there is a tuna spawn in the GOM?? that could change things... spawn areas usually = closures in other fishery's no?

18. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Thats not exactly what is being said. Bluefins are being caught that have ripe gonads ready to spawn. Some full of row and some full of milt. Spawning areas often result in closures yes.

19. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    She said that the samples she sent out showed pre and post spawn. She added that they are positive the spawn is taking place but they are not postive exactly where its taking place because thay had no funding for tows. She also indicated that its the first time they have every seen this condition in the GOM. Hard telling where to close if they dont know where its happening but they can certainly target ripe fish if this is going to happen again. Could be an outliar. Just dont have enough information. The bottom line is we should not be killing bft that are ripe, im sure everyone would agree.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  20. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

Thanks Rigga. maybe we start a rumor that it's at Fipps so we can get all our favorite close spots back ;) ....