What’s this?

Samp

As I’m poking around the local boatyard, I saw this drain valve thingy on the keel of a boat. It was, and has been raining a lot around here lately. The boat is uncovered, and there was water dripping out of the fitting. I’ve never noticed one before. What is it, and what is it’s purpose? 93AD51AC-9BFD-41E9-A2A1-EDFDF910DA23.jpeg
Thanks.

Samp

6282998B-2C27-4FC8-9977-0D95AF5E8C48.jpeg
Garboard drain plug. Lets water run out when the boat is out of the water.
Ok, thanks. And I presume it gets plugged prior to launch. With what? The fitting wasn’t threaded, and there isn’t access from inside. Or maybe there is?

Genius

Captain
View attachment 70476
Ok, thanks. And I presume it gets plugged prior to launch. With what? The fitting wasn’t threaded, and there isn’t access from inside. Or maybe there is?
It's a threaded pipe plug that goes into it before launch. They can be installed from the outside or inside. Mine is from the outside, it has a 1/2 square drive. The ones that get installed from the inside have a nice "T" handle built into them.

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
i have a wet keel, no plug for lower hole however. 1st time out of water got very concerned about water draining out ,builder never informed me of wet keel.

Samp

It's a threaded pipe plug that goes into it before launch. They can be installed from the outside or inside. Mine is from the outside, it has a 1/2 square drive. The ones that get installed from the inside have a nice "T" handle built into them.
Ok got it, good to know. Now I know what my doctor meant when he said “you gotta unclog your garboard drain once in a while”.;)

ArchHibb

Captain
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
Wait a sec. Go back to the OP’s original photo: that unthreaded drain is clearly installed at the bottom of the keel and nowhere near the bilge. And the conclusion is it’s a bilge drain that gets plugged from the inside? Access inside the keel that low is non-existent. The garboard is the 1st bottom plank next to the keel, so a garboard drain connects to the bilge, not the keel. Seems more likely it’s an open drain to a wet keel such as Bill mentioned on his boat.

Genius

Captain
I don't think so. The bilge goes to the bottom of the keel, at least in the boats I've been on. It is also far away from the wet keel area. Maybe another look at the fitting would make it all clear?

EDIT: it is a skeg boat though....I can't say I've been on too many of these.

ArchHibb

Captain
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
Yes, I see what you’re thinking. You’re saying that drain plug is located just forward of the stuffing box and drains the deepest part of the keel/skeg interior. The builder of my boat fiberglassed off the deepest portions of the keel, so I forgot that often they are left open to form the bilge.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

Samp

I hope to be able to get aboard that boat soon to investigate. I’ll surely get to the “bottom” of this. (Get it? I know, it’s not funny if you have to point out the joke...)

Top Bottom