What is a good downeaster canyon tuna spread with no greenstick?

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by CaptQ, Nov 10, 2019.

1. CaptQ

CaptQ New Member

This past spring/summer I had a lot of trouble catching yellowfin and bigeye with no outriggers or stick. What is a good spread because next year I am planning to troll 5 rods and a stick bird tied off to my cleat.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    Just buy outriggers

Tuna Hotline likes this.
  3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Add Wide Trackers to the spread after you add outriggers.

4. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

Buy five green machine spreader bars. Two of them with birds You will catch if you run over fish. Not catching cause your spread ain't right isn't as important as being in the right place at the right time .

5. CaptQ

CaptQ New Member

They’re just a pain I could use 2 wide trackers instead.

6. CaptQ

CaptQ New Member

member: 7140"]Buy five green machine spreader bars. Two of them with birds You will catch if you run over fish. Not catching cause your spread ain't right isn't as important as being in the right place at the right time .[/QUOTE]. The problem is that I am there and when I mark the fish they will not come up was a thinking of 2 wide trackers off the 45s, then a heavy daisy chain and a plug off the corners, and the high center is a green machine spreader with bird. That is what I am planning on next year plus this past season I was just throwing out lures.

7. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Member

. The problem is that I am there and when I mark the fish they will not come up was a thinking of 2 wide trackers off the 45s, then a heavy daisy chain and a plug off the corners, and the high center is a green machine spreader with bird. That is what I am planning on next year plus this past season I was just throwing out lures.[/QUOTE]

8. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Member

Also daisy chains with a bird are good to use in wake. Flat line the line to rod to maneuvering a lot easier. I don’t have any canyon experience but I did catch tuna East of Chatham and on stellwagon doing this. I like outriggers though and a good set will definitely give u more options for a spread. I’ve seen some pretty creative schemes over years to keep lines apart.

9. CaptQ

CaptQ New Member

. The problem is that I get pots of tangles and I want some profile so i use wide trackers but the problem is that when the chatter bar flips the riggers pop

10. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

what are you trolling and not catching on now? what boat how many rods and what lures. riggers will help you get your spread wider and farther back without tangles. there is a lot more to trolling than just throwing lures out. you can effectively troll five rods without riggers. will you be as effective as trolling 13? probably not but you can be effective in your own game. without knowing what you are currently doing, assistance is hard to give. also just because you mark and dont catch doesnt necessarily mean you are doing something wrong. we all mark and dont catch. its not that odd but can be frustrating. run five bally's and you will produce as well. some days better than others and some days not so.

Jonathan and sdfishon like this.
  11. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

and i would get rid of the chatter bars they are not that great.

Reelman955 and sdfishon like this.