What size gas tank to put in a 19' skiff with a 2005 90ph Yamaha 2stroke??

MAArcher

I'm using a topside tank. There's not much room below deck, its mostly full of flotation foam and the way the stringers are situated with one right down the middle it would make balance difficult. A 14 gallon right across the transom would be best.

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Any recommendations as to what would be a good size gas tank? Also, if space wise it worked better to have two tanks, one on each side, is there a way to rig it so it pulled from both tanks equally?
Lots of good points posted here. I ran a 19’ aluminum high-bow CC skiff five days a week on a 22 mile round trip with a 90 hp Honda four stroke for several years. I was really glad the boat had a 15 gallon under-deck tank, with access ports through the deck for fitting maintenance. The tank was athwartships just forward of the CC, which on that boat worked well for trim. The fuel fill pipe was on the stb gunwale, and had a little catchment around it to contain any small spill during fill-ups.
My experience with the plastic tanks is that if left on board and above deck, it is best to keep them under a tarp or similar to prevent UV damage (and eventual related failure).
I really liked having the tank and related piping all under deck so that nothing with gasoline in it was exposed to fish hooks, cigarette lighters, steel crab pots, size 12 boots (why do boat guests always seem to have big awkward feet and step on or into everything on deck???), gaff hooks, etc. If installing a below-deck tank is still an option, and if the boat is going to be used a lot, regularly, a 15-20 gallon below-deck tank would be my vote, based on my limited experience.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I don't need this one, is in Newton NH free, take it. 16 wide, 14 tall to the top of the fittings, 36 long. Didn't do the math but likely about 20.

20200704_145808.jpg

Also got this thing, 44 gallons, up for grabs.

15938895983651894804167482021713.jpg

Top Bottom