What to do when sand fleas eat all your bait in just 12 hours?

MAArcher

Do I have to move on and find a new spot? Or do the fleas come and go? I have seven traps all within 100 yards and its been working well, I get about seven keepers every time I check them every three days or so. But this last Friday I checked them in the evening and got 10 keeps and threw almost as many shorts back. Then Saturday I checked them in the morning so just 12-14 hour soak. All the traps were empty of lobster of any size but one, and the bait (two pogies per trap) was all gone except pogie heads full of fleas. Its like a plague of them just erupted?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
get some pig hide bait or i'd bet any greasy hide would work, i know in maine it has to be hairless to be legal bait.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Do I have to move on and find a new spot? Or do the fleas come and go? I have seven traps all within 100 yards and its been working well, I get about seven keepers every time I check them every three days or so. But this last Friday I checked them in the evening and got 10 keeps and threw almost as many shorts back. Then Saturday I checked them in the morning so just 12-14 hour soak. All the traps were empty of lobster of any size but one, and the bait (two pogies per trap) was all gone except pogie heads full of fleas. Its like a plague of them just erupted?
Special bait bags for that. Don't know where you are but New england fishing supply Portsmouth NH has them.

MAArcher

Hide. That is the only way when the fleas are fierce and all sizes... could use anything really big and bony too like large bluefish heads.
I was afraid that was the answer. I don't like that hide. Stinky greasy stuff.

I'd love to try bluefish heads but I haven't heard of any being caught yet this year. I hope they come inshore this year. Broiled bluefish in mustard sauce is one of my favorites.

bettylovesfishing

Lite User

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I use a pogy and half of a pig hide in my traps. We haul through them twice per week. Pig hide fishes well for three weeks. Pogies get chowed by the crabs within 24 hours, but always seems to catch better when fishing with both for some reason.

1 lobster per trap is an great average. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Back when I did the rec lobster thing a guy told me use a rag soaked in bunker oil. Not sure if it's legal but upped the catch.

Snake8

Its just a time of the year thing. Bait goes quick in warm water. Just use more bait if you want a longer soak. Also a spot that works for a month may dry up. You seem like you are doing OK, a bad week/set etc happens, move around, try different bait thats pretty much the game. If you are averaging a bug per trap you are doing just fine in MA. In Maine those are poverty traps, but it seems like you have a decent handle on things.

GansettCharlie

Boat Make
Parker 2520
I can attest to the power of pig bait. Last 2 seasons I have used it with great results. Before that, I was using bluefish as bait. The pig bait has outfished the bluefish 2 to 1. Granted, its a different season but my traps are in the same place every year. As said, pig will soak for almost 2 weeks, and it smells like bacon, and who doesn'tlove bacon! It will keep in the bucket for over a year without refrigeration.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I don't know if I will go so far as to say it smells like bacon. It is pretty terrible smelling... But the lobsters like it!

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I don't know if I will go so far as to say it smells like bacon. It is pretty terrible smelling... But the lobsters like it!
what brand are you using? All the stuff I’ve used seems legitimately food grade. Doesn’t smell any different than raw pork

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
what brand are you using? All the stuff I’ve used seems legitimately food grade. Doesn’t smell any different than raw pork
First Rate Bait. It stinks. Of course, it sits out on the back deck in the sun, so that COULD be it, I suppose

MAArcher

I noticed that after you take the cover off, and you survive the first wave of stink, its not so bad, especially after you get the top layer in bags and overboard. Its greasy stuff though. I'm always sure to bring rubber gloves now.

Top Bottom